Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Radford in Pulaski County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Page’s Meeting House

 
 
Page's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 19, 2009
1. Page's Meeting House Marker
Inscription. One mile to the north stood this Methodist Chapel, an early one in the New River area. It was built on land given in 1795 by Alexander Page. Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the chapel in 1802 and again in 1806.
 
Erected 1957 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number K 45.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 37° 8.846′ N, 80° 35.644′ W. Marker is near Radford, Virginia, in Pulaski County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Hwy (U.S. 11) and Hickman Cemetery Road/New River Road (County Route 624), on the right when traveling south on Lee Hwy. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Radford VA 24141, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Settlement (approx. 0.4 miles away); The New River (approx. 1.1 miles away); Montgomery County / Pulaski County (approx. 1.1 miles away); New River Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); Starnes (approx. 1.5 miles away); Wildwood Pool (approx.
Page's Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 19, 2009
2. Page's Meeting House Marker
1.8 miles away); Connelly's Run (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Montgomery County / Pulaski County (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Radford.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Page's Meeting House Marker (facing north) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 2, 2011
3. Page's Meeting House Marker (facing north)
Page’s Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 27, 2011
4. Page’s Meeting House
On Hickman Cemetery Road about a mile from the marker. The stone marker on the right reads “Page’s Meeting House, 1795. The first Methodist Church built west of the Allegheny Mountains.”
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 866 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement