Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Markham in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Hollow

 
 
The Hollow Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 31, 2009
1. The Hollow Marker
Inscription. In 1765, John Marshall, then nine, moved with his family from his birthplace 30 miles southeast to a small, newly constructed frame house one-quarter mile east known as The Hollow. The house built by his father, Thomas Marshall, was his home until 1773, when the family moved five miles east to Oak Hill. After the American Revolution began, Thomas Marshall and his sons, John Marshall, James Markham Marshall, and Thomas Marshall Jr. fought in numerous Revolutionary War battles including Great Bridge and Yorktown. John Marshall later served as chief justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1801 to 1835.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number FF-12.)
 
Location. 38° 54.54′ N, 77° 59.871′ W. Marker is near Markham, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is on Leeds Manor Road (County Route 688) just north of Exit 18 (Interstate 66), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Markham VA 22643, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brig. Gen. Turner Ashby, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); Lee’s Bivouac, Gettysburg Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away); Death of 2d Lt. James “Big Yankee” Ames
The Hollow Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 31, 2009
2. The Hollow Marker
The Interstate 66 overpass is in the distance with the intersection with Route 55 just beyond.
(approx. 4 miles away); In Memory of Officers of the C.S.A. (approx. 4.1 miles away); Delaplane (approx. 4.1 miles away); Piedmont Station (approx. 4.2 miles away); Discovery Shenandoah Valley (approx. 4.2 miles away); Warren County/Fauquier County (approx. 4.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Markham.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Hollow - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on April 1, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Friends of the Hollow, Inc. “The Hollow House was built prior to Thomas Marshall’s 1765 move with his family from his first Fauquier County, Virginia home in the Germantown community near Midland. Our recently-commissioned dendrochronological (tree ring) analysis of the red and white oak timbers used to construct The Hollow revealed that they were felled after the 1763 growing season but before the 1764 season. The timbers were also growing at a slow rate of approximately 30-40 years per inch of radius, as virgin trees in old-growth forest.” (Submitted on November 1, 2009.) 

3. John Marshall's Leed Manor Rural Historic District -National Register of Historic Places Nomination. (Submitted on April 1, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
4. Fauquier County's 250th Anniversary - The Hollow
The Hollow (1763 or 64) image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, April 1, 2013
3. The Hollow (1763 or 64)
The recently restored boyhood home of John Marshall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (2004) and is located within the John Marshall Leeds Manor Rural Historic District.
. “The Boyhood Home of U. S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall” Between 1764 and 1773 from the age of 9 to 18 (Submitted on April 2, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 973 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement