“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Gaines High School / Peter H. Clark

Gaines High School Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 31, 2009
1. Gaines High School Marker (Side A)
Side A: Gaines High School
In 1866, Gaines High School (grades 7-12), one of the first high schools for African Americans in Ohio, opened just west of this site in the same building as the Western District Elementary School, completed in 1859 and enlarged in 1866 and 1868. The school was named for John I. Gaines, whose leadership was responsible for securing passage of the Ohio law authorizing public schools for African Americans. Gaines was clerk and chief administrator of the African American school board when he died in 1859 at age 38. Gaines High School's Normal Department trained almost all of the African American teachers for southwest Ohio; schools in other states hired many of the students before they had even completed their studies. From 1866-1886, Gaines High School and its principal Peter H. Clark were nationally recognized for their excellence.

Side B: Peter H. Clark
Peter H. Clark (1829-1925) was the first teacher hired to teach in a black public school in Cincinnati when the Ohio Legislature authorized public schools for African Americans in 1849. He went on to become principal of the Western District Colored School and then principal of Gaines High School in 1866. Clark was one of Ohio's most prominent activists in the African American struggle for full citizenship rights. In 1883,
Peter H. Clark Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 31, 2009
2. Peter H. Clark Marker (Side B)
he helped elect a Democrat governor who demanded and secured repeal of some of Ohio's notorious "black codes," fulfilling promises ignored by both parties for 15 years. On June 7, 1886, the newly elected Cincinnati Board of Education fired Clark on political grounds. William Parham, a graduate of the University of Cincinnati Law School, who practiced law and served in the Ohio Legislature after Gaines High School closed in 1890, succeeded him.
Erected 2005 by First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 65-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 6.324′ N, 84° 31.331′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and John Street, on the right when traveling west on Court Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cincinnati OH 45203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gamble House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Betts House, 1804 (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington Williams (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise and the Plum Street Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laurel-Lincoln World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wiltsee Undertaker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fuldner Mortuary (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cincinnati.
Categories. African AmericansCivil RightsEducationGovernmentHeroesNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsPolitics
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,422 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement