Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Minden in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Douglas County Courthouse

 
 
Douglas County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
1. Douglas County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The Nevada Legislature voted to move the county seat to Minden in 1916. The Courthouse, designed by F.J. Delongchamps, was built for $23,178 on a lot deeded from the Dangberg Land and Livestock Company. Originally the building housed all the county offices and the jail.
 
Location. 38° 57.298′ N, 119° 46.075′ W. Marker is in Minden, Nevada, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of Eighth Street and Esmeralda Avenue on Eighth Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1616 Eighth Street, Minden NV 89423, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coventry Cross Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); M. E. Fay House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Dangberg House (about 700 feet away); Grace Melissa Dangberg (about 700 feet away); Minden Flour Milling Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Douglas County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Minden Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Beck House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Minden.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a thigh-high cement pole on just to the left of the sidewalk leading up to the courthouse
Wide View of Douglas County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
2. Wide View of Douglas County Courthouse and Marker
steps.
 
Also see . . .  Douglas County Courthouse. OnlineNevada.com's history of courthouses in Douglas County: "...the single-story, Neoclassical structure exhibits a dentil cornice with full entablature under a low-brick parapet and concrete cap. Four columns support a recessed entry. The interior hallways are decorated with black marble wainscoting. Doors of glass and wood open to the courtroom. Two more structures were added to the courthouse over the years. DeLongchamps designed the first in 1956, and Ferris, Erskine, and Calef built the second in 1964 at a cost of $174,245." (Submitted on November 1, 2009.) 
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
Douglas County Courthouse - Renovation Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
3. Douglas County Courthouse - Renovation Plaque
The plaque lists the contractor, architect, and county commissioners and personnel involved in the 1982-83 renovation. Plaque is mounted just to the right of the entryway.
Douglas County Courthouse (1916) image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
4. Douglas County Courthouse (1916)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement