Inscription. Joe Thoms, Sr., a slave harness-maker, founded
Oak Grove Baptist Church during the Civil War at his nearby log cabin, which burned in 1869. The congregation then met here, on land owned by John J. Robinson, a white farmer, in a grove of oaks they called the “bush arbor.” In 1870, Joe Thorns, with Deacons Ambrose Tolliver, Frank Walker, Ed Redd, John Williams, Charles Brock, Spot Mallory, and Ambrose Thoms, built a small frame church here. The third church replaced it in 1894, when Robinson donated the land. A great-great-grandson of Joe Thoms became pastor in 1982.
By J. J. Prats, October 31, 2009
|1. Oak Grove Baptist Church Marker|
Erected 1995 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number G-13.)
Location. 38° 22.107′ N, 78° 10.806′ W. Marker is near Madison, Virginia, in Madison County. Marker is on Oak Park Rd (County Route 634) west of Lillards Ford Road (County Route 607), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson’s Crossing (approx. 3.7 miles away); Madison County / Culpeper County (approx. 3.8 miles away); Crooked Run Baptist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Jackson’s March to Fredericksburg (approx. 4.1 miles away); James L. Kemper Residence (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hebron Lutheran Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Engagement at James City (approx. 5.1 miles away); Battle of James City (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.