Stockton in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Goddess of Justice
the dome of the second courthouse
constructed upon this site in 1888
By order of the Board
of Supervisors. The statue
has been restored by
county employees and
caused to be erected
on this pedestal of honor
upon completion of the
new building in 1964
Erected 1964 by San Joaquin County.
Location. 37° 57.211′ N, 121° 17.307′ W. Marker is in Stockton, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker can be reached from North Hunter Square Plaza near Weber Street. Click for map. Marker is located at the North Hunter Square Plaza entrance (west side) of the San Joaquin County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2-98 North Hunter Square Plaza, Stockton CA 95202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. California Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stockton Savings and Loan Society Bank (about 400 feet away); B & M Building (about 500 feet away); Commercial and Savings Bank (about 700 feet away); The Compass Rose (about Saint Maryís Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Head of Navigation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Johnís Episcopal Church and Guild Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stockton.
Regarding Goddess of Justice. The Goddess of Justice was created as part of the second county courthouse, completed in 1890. She is made of gilded zinc and originally stood 172 feet above the street. The third courthouse was built in 1960 and the Goddess was set upon a pedestal outside the west entrance.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 738 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.