Nuttsville in Lancaster County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1948 by Department of Conservation and Development. (Marker Number J-81.)
Location. 37° 48.05′ N, 76° 34.167′ W. Marker is in Nuttsville, Virginia, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of River Road (Virginia Route 354) and Morattico Road (County Route 622) on River Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nuttsville VA 22528, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lancaster County / Richmond County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Trade Routes (approx. 2.3 miles away); Birthplace of Washington’s Mother (approx. 2.8 miles away); St. Mary’s White Chapel (approx. 3.4 miles away); St. Mary’s Whitechapel (approx. 3.8 miles away); Queenstown Cyrus Griffin’s Birthplace (approx. 4.5 miles away); Northern Neck Industrial Academy (approx. 4.5 miles away).
Also see . . . Steamboat Service on the Rappahannock River 1828–1937. “George Weems established service on the Rappahanock River in 1828 with the steamer Patuxent. George’s son Mason L. Weems (pictured on the left) took over for his father and became the master of steamers on the Patuxent and Rappahannnoock for many years. The service provided transport of both freight and passengers to and from Baltimore, Norfolk and Washington, DC. In 1829 The Baltimore and Rappahannock Steam Packet Company was formed and also began service on the Rappahannock with two steamers, the Rappahannock and the Fredericksburg. Competition was stiff and companies like the Rappahannock Steam Packet Company and then latter the Maryland and Virginia Steam Packet Company that was formed in 1847 ultimately gave in to bankruptcy leaving the Weems line as the operator. The Weems line remained in service up until 1904 when it was sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad.” (Submitted on November 2, 2009.)
Entry in the 1915 book Historic
“Major Ball was succeeded at Bewdley by his son Colonel James Ball (1718–1789), who was many years a member of the Virginia House of Delegates and also a member of the [Virginia Ratifying] Convention of 1788 [for the ratification of the U.S. Constitution]. His son and Heir, Colonel James Ball (1755–1825), of Bewdley, was likewise frequently in the House of Delegates. Among the sons of this last named Colonel Ball was William Lee Ball, for several terms a member of Congress.
“A recent owner of Bewdley was Captain James Kendall Ball, of the 9th Virginia Cavalry, Confederate States Army.”
— Submitted November 2, 2009.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,382 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Better old photographs of Bewdley • Current photo of the remaining chimney • Can you help?