Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
Inscription. The origin of this parish can be traced to 1704, when a log chapel known as St. Mary's was constructed on Chapel Branch in Northwest Fork Hundred. The devastating impact of the Revolution on the Church of England in America contributed to the discontinuation of services there by the early 1800s. In 1835, the Reverend Corry Chambers was sent to the Seaford area by the Diocese of Delaware. Finding St. Mary's in ruins, he organized St. Luke's from the remnants of the former congregation. Services were held for a time in Union Meeting House at High and Church Streets. This site was donated by Dr. John Gibbons, and construction of the present church was begun in 1838. On May 28, 1843, St. Luke's was formally consecrated by Bishop Alfred Lee. The church was remodeled and enlarged in 1886. Facilities were further expanded with the completion of a Parish House in 1931. Prominent citizens interred in the adjoining cemetery include William H. Ross, Governor of Delaware (1851-1855); and Edward L. Martin, member of the United States House of Representative (1879-1883). St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. St. Luke's Episcopal Church Marker
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-163.)
38.626′ N, 75° 36.543′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Front Street (Business U.S. 13) 0.1 miles from High Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Between King and Poplar streets, attached to the church building. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. St. Luke's Church
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor William H. H. Ross (a few steps from this marker); Forty & Eight Boxcar (within shouting distance of this marker); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Seaford Fire Department (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Seaford Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Seaford Hundred (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Seaford.
More about this marker. Governor Ross is the subject of his own marker, just to the right of the church building.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,775 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on , by Christopher T. George of Baltimore, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.