Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
Among the first in America, Cincinnati's public library dates from March 14, 1853. A public reading room opened in 1856, but funding remained a problem until 1867, when local school board president Rufus King II secured legislation for a renamed Cincinnati Public Library. In 1869, King lured leading librarian William Frederick Poole to organize Cincinnati as a national model for the growing public library movement. Poole designed 19th century America's most advanced library at 629 Vine Street, which fully opened in 1874. Becoming a countywide system in 1898, the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County was a pioneer in the 20th century with special services for the blind and for children, bookmobile services, and circulation of audiovisual materials.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County's new Main Library that opened in 1955 at the corner of Eighth and Vine was post-war America's first major central public library. It was dedicated as a memorial to the servicemen and women from Hamilton County killed while in the Armed Forces. Its boldly modern "International Style" exterior was the work of local architect Woodie Garber, and its consumer-oriented "department store of knowledge" layout was the creation of Librarian
Erected 2003 by Library Gift Trust Fund and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 51-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 6.298′ N, 84° 30.826′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Vine Street and 9th Street (U.S. 22), on the right when traveling north on Vine Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Vine Street, Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Piatt Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuldner Mortuary (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wiltsee Undertaker (about 400 feet away); Elizabeth Blackwell (about 500 feet away); Ohio Military Trails (approx. ¼ mile Military Roads (approx. ¼ mile away); Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise and the Plum Street Temple (approx. ¼ mile away); The Athenaeum (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Cincinnati.
Also see . . . Public Library Main Branch. (Submitted on November 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Education • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 887 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.