Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brown’s Island

 
 
Brown’s Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
1. Brown’s Island Marker
Inscription. Brown’s Island is named for Elijah Brown who acquired it in 1826. Brown came from Rhode Island in 1811 to be a gunsmith at the Virginia Manufactory of Arms. In 1818, he entered the Public Guard, which was stationed at the Manufactory, and served as Lieutenant and Paymaster. For a time the Island was called Neilson’s Island, after a subsequent owner, but the name Brown’s Island eventually stuck.

Since Elijah Brown’s day, the island has had a varied history, sketched in plaques around the island. In 1982, the City of Richmond traded Gambles Hill Park to the Ethyl Corporation for Brown’s Island. After improvements sponsored by the James River Discovery Program, the island became part of the City’s James River Park in 1987.
 
Location. 37° 32.04′ N, 77° 26.471′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South 7th Street and Tredegar Street. Click for map. This marker is on the Richmond Riverfront Canal Walk on Brown's Island. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Electricity for Streetcars (here, next to this marker); Albemarle Paper (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named
Richmond Riverfront Canal Walk image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
2. Richmond Riverfront Canal Walk
Brown’s Island (a few steps from this marker); Manchester & Free Bridges (within shouting distance of this marker); R&P Railroad Piers (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Laboratory (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canal Walk / Historic Canals (about 500 feet away); John Jasper (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. On the upper panel is an image entitled "Richmond from Belle Isle, 1797," with the caption, "Brown’s Island is covered by trees, left-center; right-center, below the State Capitol, is Johnson’s Island." (Watercolor by B. Latrobe, Courtesy of Maryland Historical Society)

On the lower panel is a copy of "Elijah Brown’s Title" with the caption, "From the City Deedbooks, assigning Elijah Brown “the peaceful possession of an Island in James River."" (Courtesy of Virginia State Library)
 
Also see . . .
1. Brown’s Island. Events, Island history, and directions. (Submitted on November 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. Richmond Riverfront Canal Walk. Venture Richmond (Submitted on November 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 758 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement