Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. Harold B. Sightler
Psalm 78:19: Can God Furnish a Table in the Wilderness?
—God Can! —
Dr. Harold B. Sightler
Tabernacle Baptist Church
Tabernacle Baptist Missions International
WTBI AM & FM
Champion of Old Time Religion
Location. 34° 49.817′ N, 82° 26.767′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on White Horse Road (U.S. 25) south of Old Easley Bridge Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville SC 29611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dunean Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Lynching Of Willie Earle (approx. 1.4 miles away); General Store (approx. 1.5 miles away); Sterling High School (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Sterling High School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Working Benevolent Society Hospital (approx. 2 miles away); Allen Temple AME Church Bell (approx. 2.3 miles away); Parker High School Auditorium (approx. 2.3 miles away); Cigar Factory (approx. 2.3 miles away); "Shoeless Joe" Jackson House (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenville.
Also see . . .
1. Harold B. Sightler. Harold Bennett Sightler was born May 15, 1914 in the lower part of his beloved South Carolina-the state where he lived his whole 81 years and ministered faithfully 55 of those years. (Submitted on November 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Harold B. Sightler. Dr Harold B. Sightler is Founder of Tabernacle Baptist Church, Christian School, College, Children's Home and Widows Homes in Greenville, SC, United States. (Submitted on November 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Tabernacle Baptist College. Tabernacle Baptist College is an independent, fundamental, Baptist college in Greenville, South Carolina, offering undergraduate degrees in Bible and Elementary Education among others. (Submitted on November 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Tabernacle Ministries: Greenville, SC. The Tabernacle Ministries Web Site is a Ministry of Tabernacle Baptist Church, located in Greenville, South Carolina of the United States. (Submitted on November 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About Dr. Harold B. Sightler
Dr. Sightler was born in St. George, South Carolina on May 15, 1914. He was
Dr. Sightler has often said that Paul's admonition to Timothy to make full proof of his ministry was a lifelong responsibility. Dr. Sightler has been doing that since his surrender to preach in 1940. from his first revival meeting held on the front lawn of a dear saint of God's home to revival meetings each week, year after year, he has been making full proof of his ministry.
In 1943, he started The Bright Spot Hour radio broadcast on area stations as a cost of $24.00 per week. Today, God has allowed The Bright Spot Hour to be heard on five continents at costs of $25,000.00 per month. In 1951, tragedy struck. A fatal automobile accident took the life of his oldest daughter and threatened the lives of his wife and baby girl. It was out of this tragedy that God led him to start Tabernacle Baptist Church in 1952. By 1957, the church had over 1,200 members and at this time erected one of the largest Baptist church auditoriums in South Carolina with a seating capacity of 1,500.
Following his leadership, the church started a Christian day school in 1960, a children's home in 1963, a Baptist institute in 1963, a bible college in 1975 and a place where some of the church widows could stay in 1982. Throughout the years, the missions outreach of tabernacle has been its life's blood.
As the oldest Baptist pastor in continuous service in Greenville county, this "Prince of Preachers" continues to make full proof of his ministry for his Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. (Source: Great Preaching on Comfort, Vol. 16 by Curtis Hutson (2000) pg 28.)
— Submitted November 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,471 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.