Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Company Store

 
 
Company Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
1. Company Store Marker
Inscription. The Tredegar Company operated a company store, or commissary, in this two story brick building. The company store was opened shortly after Tredegar resumed production at the end of the Civil War (c.1868) and remained in business until just after the end of World War I (c.1918). The entrance to the store was on the upper floor and faced the James River and Kanawha canal. The lower floor was used for storage, and a small rope and pulley elevator carried goods up to the sales area
 
Location. 37° 32.163′ N, 77° 26.719′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Tredegar Street 0.1 miles west of South 5th Street. Click for map. This marker is located outside the Civil War Visitor Center at Tredegar Iron Works. Marker is at or near this postal address: 470 Tredegar Street, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Richmond-Petersburg Railroad Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Tredegar Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Cupolas from the Virginia State Penitentiary (within shouting distance of this marker); Rutherfoord’s Mill (within shouting distance of this
Company Store Storage Area (lower level) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
2. Company Store Storage Area (lower level)
marker); a different marker also named The Tredegar Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cupola Furnace and Foundry (within shouting distance of this marker); Enterprise and Iron (within shouting distance of this marker); Raceways (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. In the center of the panel is an image of a store account book with the caption, "An inventory from 1868 showed that the store carried a wide variety of merchandise. Dry goods included: bolts of cloth, shirts and trousers, buttons, pins, shoes, and three varieties of caps. Food items included: coffee and tea, sugar, bacon, salted fish, spices and beans. The commissary also sold wood and coal for fuel as shown in the pages of this account book (right)."

On the lower right are images of early 20th century brand name products with the caption, "By 1917, the kinds of merchandise offered had changed little. The store continued to sell a wide variety of dry goods like clocks, pencils, suspenders, and umbrellas as well as food items like ham, butter, eggs and apples. One noticeable
Company Store Entrance and Sales Area (upper level) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
3. Company Store Entrance and Sales Area (upper level)
difference was the addition of many newly popular brand name products. Pre-packaged and widely advertised brand name products included Quaker Oats, Cream of Wheat, Fels Naphtha, Pillsbury Flour, Bon Ami Cleanser as well as several brands of canned fruits and vegetables filled the commissary shelves."
 
Also see . . .
1. Civil War Visitor Center at Tredegar Iron Works. Richmond National Battlefield Park (Submitted on November 6, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. The American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar. (Submitted on November 6, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 581 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement