Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Orange in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Laboratory Complex

Edison National Historic Site, NJ

 
 
The Laboratory Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
1. The Laboratory Complex Marker
Inscription. Building 5, the largest of the laboratory buildings, extends 250 feet along Lakeside Avenue. Henry Hudson Holly, architect of Thomas Edisonís home, planned this single, three-story building. But Hollyís building proved too small for Edisonís plans and four one-story structures were built with the main building in 1887. To an Edison associate, the complex was like “Heaven . . . certainly one of the finest in the world and the finest in the States.”

Over the years, structures were added to Edisonís laboratory complex. The first brick factories gave way to larger concrete factories like the one behind you. Smaller buildings were built and demolished to meet changing needs. Through all the changes, Edisonís 1887 buildings have remained intact.
 
Erected by Edison National Historic Site, National Park Service.
 
Location. 40° 47.029′ N, 74° 14.058′ W. Marker is in West Orange, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Lakeside Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Orange NJ 07052, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive (a few
The Laboratory Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
2. The Laboratory Complex Marker
steps from this marker); Thomas A. Edison Industries (a few steps from this marker); The Main Gate (a few steps from this marker); The Truck of the First Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Truck of the Second Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Edisonís West Orange Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); Chemistry Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); Pattern Shop (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in West Orange.
 
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker contains two sketches of a potential laboratory complex, one done by Thomas Edison and the other by his architect. The caption reads “When first planning the West Orange laboratory in 1886, Edison sketched a single, three-story building surrounding a courtyard. Architect Henry Hudson Holly proposed a rectangular building 250 feet long and 50 feet wide.”
The upper right of the marker
The Laboratory Complex image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
3. The Laboratory Complex
Edison's three-story Main Laboratory can be seen in this photo behind the marker.
contains a photograph of the laboratory building, and has a caption of “The main laboratory building seen after construction in 1887. Compare this photograph with Henry Hudson Hollyís drawing and the building here today.”
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers found at the Laboratory Complex of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.
 
Also see . . .  Thomas Edison National Historical Park, New Jersey. Nation Park Service website. (Submitted on November 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
The Laboratory Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
4. The Laboratory Complex Marker
The main entrance to the Thomas Edison National Historical Park can be seen here in the left of the photo.
The Laboratory Complex Marker (Rear View) image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
5. The Laboratory Complex Marker (Rear View)
Taken from inside the Thomas Edison National Historical Park, this photo shows the marker at the corner of Main Street and Lakeside Avenue.
The Laboratory Complex image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
6. The Laboratory Complex
Building 5 is seen here from the courtyard of the Laboratory Complex.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 578 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement