Coltons Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Blackistone Island Lighthouse
Keepers of the Light
1853 George Goddard
1859 Jerome L. McWilliams
1868 Dr. Joseph L. McWilliams
1875 Mrs. Josephine McWilliams Freeman
1912 William M. Freeman, Jr.
1913 Leonard H. Staubly
1917 Francis E. Butterfield, Jr.
1918 William Simpson
1919 William Yeatman
1920-1932 Leonard H. Staubly
The Blackistone Island (St. Clement's Island) lighthouse was located near there and began service on November 13, 1851. The lighthouse was constructed by John Donohoo of Havre de Grace who also built the Point Lookout Lighthouse, the Piney Point Lighthouse, and the Cove Point Lighthouse in Southern Maryland. The lighthouse remained in operation for 105 years.
During the War between the states, John W. Goldsmith, or nearby St. Patrick's Creek, Maryland, a captain in the Confederate Army, led a raiding party of twelve from the 30 foot sloop Swan to destroy the lighthouse. On the night of May 19, 1864, Captain Goldsmith landed on the island, destroyed the lamp and lens, and removed the 15 gallons of oil. The lighthouse was spared a more devastating destiny only because the keeper's wife, Mrs. Jerome McWilliams, was soon to deliver a baby.
When the lighthouse returned to active service, it continued to guide vessels safely until erosion threatened its existence. Operations
Maryland's State Boat
The skipjack, the last working boat under sail in North America became a state symbol in 1985. It is used in the seafood industry for dredging oysters in the Chesapeake Bay.
Skipjack on the left: "The Rebecca T. Ruarb" from Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Behind here is the clipper ship "The Pride of Baltimore II". - Artiste George F. McWilliams.
Location. 38° 12.49′ N, 76° 44.692′ W. Marker is in Coltons Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242). Click for map. Marker is on St. Clements Island which is only accessibly by boat. A ferry operates on weekends from the St. Clement's Island Museum on Point Breeze Road. Marker is in this post office area: Coltons Point MD 20626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to St. Clement's Island (within shouting distance of this marker); A Target for Big Guns (within shouting distance of this marker); "With a laudable and pious zeal..." St. Clement's Island (within shouting distance of this marker); "...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac" (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shrinking Island (about 800 feet away); Maryland Began Here! (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Welcome to St. Clement's Island (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Coltons Point.
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.