Kilmarnock in Lancaster County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2008 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number J-104.)
Location. 37° 42.65′ N, 76° 22.817′ W. Marker is in Kilmarnock, Virginia, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Virginia Route 3) and East Church Street (Virginia Route 200), on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kilmarnock VA 22482, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First American Woman Missionary to China (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Morgan E. Norris Ditchley and Cobbs (approx. 1.9 miles away); Corotoman (approx. 3.1 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Morattico Baptist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Christ Church Lancaster (approx. 3.2 miles away); White Marsh Church (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kilmarnock.
Also see . . . Kilmarnock’s History. “In 1764, Robert Gilmour, an agent for a mercantile firm based in Glasgow, Scotland, is thought to have been involved in giving the name of ‘Kilmarnock’ to the crossroads location using the name of Kilmarnock, Scotland, where he apparently also owned land. The earliest known record referenced to ‘Kilmarnock, Virginia,’ can be found in a deed recorded in 1778.” (Submitted on November 7, 2009.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 727 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.