Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Orange in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Metallurgical Laboratory

Building 4

 
 
Metallurgical Laboratory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
1. Metallurgical Laboratory Marker
Inscription. Metals were vital to Thomas Edison – from iron, copper, and various alloys used in new inventions to gold for plating phonograph record molds. Here in the metallurgical laboratory, workers collected, assayed, and evaluated the metals used for Edison’s projects.

In the 1890s Edison employees experimented with the magnetic extraction of iron from low-grade ore. But by 1900, discovery of high-grade ore deposits dashed Edison’s hopes of making a profit from milling New Jersey’s low-grade ores. After losing millions, Edison stated, “Well, it’s all gone, but we had a . . . good time spending it!”

Later, Building 4 was put to non-metallurgical uses. Experiments in sound recording and phonograph record supplication were conducted in this building before 1903. By 1912 much of the experimental work concentrated on the diamond disc phonograph.
 
Erected by Edison National Historic Site, National Park Service.
 
Location. 40° 47.017′ N, 74° 14′ W. Marker is in West Orange, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in the Thomas Edison National Historical Park. Marker is in this post office area: West Orange NJ 07052, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Marker at Building 4 image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
2. Marker at Building 4
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pattern Shop (a few steps from this marker); Chemistry Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop – Building 7 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Edison’s West Orange Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); The Truck of the First Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Truck of the Second Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (within shouting distance of this marker); Making Movies (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in West Orange.
 
More about this marker. A photograph at the bottom of the marker depicts “Edison (seated, far right) and his assistants, known as the ‘Insomnia Squad,’ paus[ing] for a meal in Building 4 in 1912.”
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers found at the Laboratory Complex of Thomas Edison National Historical Park.
 
Also see . . .  Thomas Edison National Historical Park, New Jersey. Nation Park Service website. (Submitted on November 8, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Edison National Historic Site Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2009
3. Edison National Historic Site Markers
Several markers are found in the courtyard of the Edison National Historic Site. Building 4 and the Metallurgical Laboratory marker can be seen to the right in the photo.
 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement