Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hayesville in Ashland County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House

 
 
Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 22, 2009
1. Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House Marker
Inscription.
This building was a center of community life from the time of its construction in 1886 to the late 1930s. Once common, such combinations of governmental offices and commercial and entertainment space are today rare. The second floor opera house retains many original features, including stage backdrops, dressing rooms, and seats. Vaudeville, theater companies, and entertainment of all kinds were hosted here and many performers signed the backstage walls: Buffalo Bill dated his signature October 28, 1888. Along with village offices, first floor tenants have included the Vermillion Township Trustees, the Eddie Stover Hat Shop, and the F.L. Smith Watch Repair and Jewelry Store. Hayesville's citizens approved the hall's construction on April 18, 1884 by a vote of 100 to 13. Contractor Samuel Craig completed the building two years later at a cost of $4,852.20. Located on the Lincoln Highway, this building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
 
Erected 1998 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Hayesville Opera House Restoration Board, The Village of Hayesville, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 22, 2009
2. Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House Marker
Looking north along Mechanic Street to intersection with Main Street just beyond mailbox.

 
Location. 40° 46.376′ N, 82° 15.723′ W. Marker is in Hayesville, Ohio, in Ashland County. Marker is at the intersection of Mechanic Street (Ohio Route 60) and Main Street (Ohio Route 179), on the left when traveling south on Mechanic Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hayesville OH 44838, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. PFC Terry L. Schaub (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Mifflin (approx. 5.3 miles away); Frontier Violence During the War of 1812 (approx. 5.5 miles away); Ashland County Veterans Memorial Bridge (approx. 5.8 miles away); Studebaker (approx. 6.1 miles away); Greentown Delaware Village (approx. 6.1 miles away); Jones Memorial Terrace (approx. 6.9 miles away); Founding of Ashland College / Ashland Eagles Tradition (approx. 7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  History of the Hayesville Opera House. (Submitted on November 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. EntertainmentGovernmentNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Former Hayesville Corporate Limit Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 22, 2009
3. Former Hayesville Corporate Limit Marker
Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 22, 2009
4. Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House
Marker at far right, just beyond white-sided part of building.
Hayesville Opera House Entrance image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 22, 2009
5. Hayesville Opera House Entrance
Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 22, 2009
6. Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House
Looking east on Main Street. Concrete Lincoln Highway marker at near right.
Lincoln Highway Marker at Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 22, 2009
7. Lincoln Highway Marker at Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House
Odd Fellows Hall Adjacent to Opera House image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 22, 2009
8. Odd Fellows Hall Adjacent to Opera House
Sign over door in part reads "...Hardware, Stoves & Tinware"
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,184 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement