Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodland in Yolo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of Byron Jackson’s First Machine Shop

 
 
Site of Byron Jackson’s First Machine Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 1, 2006
1. Site of Byron Jackson’s First Machine Shop Marker
Inscription. Byron Jackson (1841-1921) was an inventor and manufacturer of farm equipment and pumps. His name endures on pumps used in agriculture, petroleum, mining, power generations and water supply. Born in Ohio, Jackson moved to Woodland with his parents in 1860. He first worked on his father’s farm, and in 1872 established his first machine shop in the Yolo Planing Mill on the west side of First Street next to Hesperian College.

Here Jackson invented and manufactured tools for local farmers. In 1878 he moved his business to San Francisco, where in 1890 he patented his first centrifugal pump. In his lifetime he was awarded patents for 13 inventions. The 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed his plant, but business continued, using machinery salvaged from the fire. Byron Jackson retired in 1913, and two years later the company moved to a new plant in Berkeley. In the 1950’s the company was purchased by Borg-Warner Corporation, and Byron Jackson’s company became the foundation for the Pump Division of present day BW/IP International, Inc., based in Long Beach, Ca.
 
Erected 1996 by BW/IP International, Inc. – (Pump Division).
 
Location. 38° 40.585′ N, 121° 46.394′ W. Marker is in Woodland, California, in
Site of Byron Jackson’s First Machine Shop image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 1, 2006
2. Site of Byron Jackson’s First Machine Shop
Marker is to the left of the corner of the existing building.
Yolo County. Marker is at the intersection of Bush Street and First Street, on the right when traveling west on Bush Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodland CA 95776, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodland's First Post Office (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main and Second Street 1920’s (about 500 feet away); Yolo County Savings Bank (about 600 feet away); Woodland begins (about 600 feet away); The Woodland Opera House (about 600 feet away); Original railroad (about 700 feet away); Yolo County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yolo County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Woodland.
 
More about this marker. This is a City of Woodland Historical Site
 
Also see . . .  BJ Services: History. (Submitted on September 24, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. An excerpt from: www.flowserve -Flowserve’s Pump History
In 1872 the world’s largest gold nugget, a 215 kg giant, was found in New South Wales, Australia. Another legendary gem, The Byron Jackson Company of Woodland, California, was also founded that year. The list of Byron Jackson “firsts” and “largests”
Photo of Byron Jackson Shown on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 1, 2006
3. Photo of Byron Jackson Shown on Marker
in industrial pumping history is too long to enumerate in a short history, but it covers centrifugal pumps of almost every design and application.
    — Submitted September 24, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceNotable PersonsNotable Places
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,997 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on , by Bonnie Ward of Touchet, Washington. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement