Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Erected on the bluff near this location by the pioneers of the Cumberland settlement in the year 1780, as a central fort of defense against Indian attacks.
Was the scene of many noted historical events, especially the Indian attack of April 2, 1781, known as
"The Battle of the Bluff."
This representation of the original fort was built by appropriations from the State of Tennessee, the County of Davidson and the City of Nashville through the patriotic work of the Tennessee Society Daughters of the American Revolution and the persevering efforts of the four Nashville Chapters: Viz: Cumberland, General James Robertson, Campbell, and Colonel Thomas McCrory.
Erected in 1930, - the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the settlement of what now is the City of Nashville.
Erected 1930 by Tennessee Society Daughters Of The American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 36° 9.858′ N, 86° 46.522′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee Click for map. Located within Fort Nashborough. Marker is in this post office area: Nashville TN 37201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel James Robertson (here, next to this marker); Colonel Richard Henderson (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Nashborough (a few steps from this marker); Colonel John Donelson (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of Nashville (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Store (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacques Timothe Boucher de Montbrun (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sampson W. Keeble (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Nashville.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,125 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.