Carthage in Jasper County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Westward are the famous tri-state lead and zinc fields; northward, livestock and dairy farms; and here, the Carthage Marble quarries. A limestone of magnificent color and hardness, Carthage Marble was first quarried in 1880. Among the buildings of this stone is the Missouri State Capitol.
In 1861 Carthage was the scene of the second major engagement of the Civil War in Missouri. It was burned to the ground by Southern guerrillas, 1864. In the Battle of Carthage, July 5, 1861, some 4,000 armed and 2,000 unarmed State Guardsmen led by deposed Gov. Claiborne F. Jackson forced Union Col. Franz Sigel's 1,100 troops to fall back and cleared the way for joining with other State Guards and with c Confederate troops, thereby gaining time to equip and train the pro-Southern troops of Missouri.
Carthage, on the banks of the Spring River, lies in a region where western prairie and Ozark Highland meet. This area was part of the territory held by the Osage Indians until their 1825 land cession to the
After Carthage was burned, Sept. 22, 1864, Cave Spring was temporarily county seat until 1866. During the reconstruction period, Carthage was aided by the coming of the Memphis, Carthage, and Northwestern R.R. (Frisco), 1872, and Lexington and Southern (Mo. Pac.) 1880. Among the schools here were Carthage Female Academy, 1855; Carthage (Presbyterian) Collegiate Institute, 1886; and Ozark (Methodist) Wesleyan College, 1924. Today's Catholic College of Our Lady of the Ozarks opened, 1944.
Among points of interest are Battle of Carthage markers; scenic Carter, Municipal, and Center parks; Carthage Public Library with its art collection from Carthage of Africa; and to the south, Carver National Monument. Born here were Anna Baxter White, said to be first woman elected to public office in Mo. when made county clerk, 1890; and Belle Starr, post-Civil War outlaw.
Erected 1955 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 37° 11.153′ N, 94° 17.81′ W. Marker is in Carthage, Missouri, in Jasper County. Marker is on Esterly Drive 0.2 miles west of Missouri Route 96, on the right when traveling Click for map. This marker is in Kellogg Lake Park. There is plenty of parking near the marker. Marker is in this post office area: Carthage MO 64836, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rendezous At Carthage (approx. 0.9 miles away); Last Skirmish of the Battle of Carthage (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Battle of Carthage (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Carthage (approx. one mile away); Charles Pollard Wood (approx. one mile away); Osage War (approx. one mile away); War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Eliel Lanyon (E.L.) Dale (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Carthage.
Also see . . .
1. Southwest Missouri Markers. Fort Tours Link to markers in Southwest Missouri (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
2. Carthage Missouri Visitor's Bureau. Link to the official website for visitors to Carthage. (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
3. Battle of Carthage State Historical Site. Link for information on the First Battle of Carthage from the State of Missouri. (Submitted on November 9, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Natural Features • Natural Resources • Politics • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,902 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.