Summerton in Clarendon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1950 by the State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Daughters of the American Revoluion.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 33° 32.339′ N, 80° 26.206′ W. Marker is in Summerton, South Carolina, in Clarendon County. Marker is on Fort Watson Road (State Road 14-803), in the median. Click for map. Located at the pavements end. Marker is in this post office area: Summerton SC 29148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santee National Wildlife Refuge (a few steps from this marker); Swamp Fox (approx. half a mile away); 2nd Battle of Fort Watson (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Fort Watson (approx. half a mile away); Fort Watson: (approx. 0.8 miles away); Liberty Hill Church / Pioneers in Desegregation Anne Custis Burgess (approx. 6.6 miles away); "Together Let Us Sweetly Live" (approx. 6.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Summerton.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism. Santee Indian Mound and Fort Watson Site (Submitted on November 10, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. National Register Properties in South Carolina, Santee Indian Mound and Fort Watson. Santee Indian Mound was part of a mound village complex; it was probably a burial and/or temple mound, likely constructed in some cultural period between 1200-1500 AD. Santee Indian Mound and a probable low earthwork remain intact except for the superposition of eighteenth-century fortifications on top of the mound. The fortification, British Revolutionary War post Fort Watson, was built from 30 to 50 feet high atop the mound.
In 1780, Francis Marion and Light Horse Harry Lee decided to capture the fort. Bombardment was out of the question, for the Americans were without artillery, but Colonel Maham, one of Marionís officers, proposed building a log tower higher than Fort Watson. Hidden by trees, men hewed logs and the tower was erected
There are no remains of Fort Watson on the site. Listed in the National Register July 29, 1969. (Submitted on November 13, 2009.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,261 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.