“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellijay in Gilmer County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Gilmer County

Gilmer County Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2009
1. Gilmer County Historical Marker
Inscription. Gilmer County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 out of Cherokee. Originally, it contained parts of Fannin, Dawson and Pickens Counties. The county was named for George Rockingham Gilmer (1790-1859), who served with distinction as a soldier, lawyer, legislator, Congressman and twice as Governor of Georgia. 1829-1831 and 1837-1839. First officers, commissioned March 9, 1833, were: Levi A. Hufsteller, Sheriff: Thomas M. Burnett, Clerk Superior Court: Henry K. Quillian, Clerk Inferior Court. Officers commissioned July 10, 1833 were Thomas Gutterry, Coroner, and Benjamin M. Griffith, Surveyor.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 061-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 41.714′ N, 84° 28.979′ W. Marker is in Ellijay, Georgia, in Gilmer County. Marker is at the intersection of North Dalton Street and Broad Street, on the right when traveling north on North Dalton Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellijay GA 30540, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. David Bailey Freeman - The Youngest Confederate Soldier (a few steps
Gilmer County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2009
2. Gilmer County Courthouse
from this marker); Fort Hetzel (approx. 0.9 miles away); Home of Chief Whitepath (approx. 4.7 miles away); Cartecay Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Oakland Academy (approx. 6.9 miles away); Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away); The Zell Miller Mountain Parkway (approx. 10.8 miles away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 12 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ellijay.
More about this marker. This marker is at the location of the original Gilmer County Courthouse. The Dec. 1832 act creating Gilmer County provided that "the place where Ned Tucker recently lived" would serve as the county's initial courthouse and place for holding elections. In 1854, a new courthouse was built, which would serve the county for the next 80 years. The historic courthouse was left standing until January 2008, when it was demolished. In recognition of the memory of the old courthouse, a new county government building of similar appearance was built in its place. The new building is connected to the courthouse complex, but from the
Gilmer County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 26, 2011
3. Gilmer County Marker
Looking from the front of the courthouse at the marker and the new roundabout, which replaced the old courthouse square.
city square it almost appears to be a restoration of the old courthouse.
Categories. Antebellum South, USGovernmentNotable PersonsPolitical Subdivisions
Gilmer County Courthouse Plaque image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 26, 2011
4. Gilmer County Courthouse Plaque
A plaque relating to the dedication of the new Gilmer County Courthouse in December 2008 is mounted on the front of the courthouse steps.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,015 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement