Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Bern in Craven County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish

 
 
First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
1. First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker
Inscription. The walls on this site are erected over the brick and ballast stone foundation of the first house of worship of Colonial Craven Parish which was established in 1715. The brick Anglican Church was completed in 1750, and it continued in use until the early 1820s. The foundation underground is of the same thickness as these walls which provided the shape and form of the old church. Openings in the north and south walls indicate appropriate window locations in the church which stood here.

George Whitefield, the famed Evangelist of the Great Awakening in the eighteenth century preached here on Easter Day in 1765. Presidents George Washington and James Monroe both worshiped in Old Christ Church on visits to New Bern.
 
Erected by Christ Church Memorial Fund.
 
Location. 35° 6.415′ N, 77° 2.386′ W. Marker is in New Bern, North Carolina, in Craven County. Marker is at the intersection of Pollock Street and Middle Street, on the right when traveling west on Pollock Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Bern NC 28560, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caleb Bradham (a few steps from this marker); George E. Badger (about 500 feet away,
First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
2. First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker
measured in a direct line); Bayard v. Singleton (about 500 feet away); First Printing Press In N.C. (about 600 feet away); Christ Church (about 600 feet away); First Provincial Congress (about 600 feet away); Craven County World Wars 1 and 2 Memorial (about 700 feet away); William Gaston (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New Bern.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
3. First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker
First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
4. First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker
First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Welcome Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
5. First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Welcome Marker
Welcome. This outdoor chapel with its burial floor is a historic and sacred place. You are welcome to enter for worship, prayer, reflection, remembrance and rest. We ask that you treat this area with reverence and respect. Please do not enter the altar area.
Parish History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
6. Parish History Marker
The first church on this site was completed on the Southwest corner in 1750. The Rev. James Reed, who arrived from England late in the year 1753 as a Missionary of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, served as First Rector until his death May 7, 1777. He was chiefly responsible for the establishment of the local school, first incorporated school in North Carolina. His grave is in the churchyard. Still in the possession of the Parish are a five piece silver communion service, a bible and a book of common prayer presented in 1752 by King George II. A second church, larger than the first was consecrated on this spot Feb. 1, 1824. It was burned Jan. 10, 1871. The present edifice was consecrated May 23, 1875. Two Episcopal Dioceses have been organized here; North Carolina in 1817, and East Carolina in 1883.
First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., October 21, 2009
7. First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish Marker
4 July 1976
The benches are placed on this sacred site in loving memory of
John Haywood Jones, 1895 - 1975
John Hinton Fox, 1907 - 1974
Donald Hayes Clement, 1907 - 1975
Meta Moore McCotter, 1909 - 1974
Mary Jarvis Stith, 1901 - 1975
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 616 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   6. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   7. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement