Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Headquarters March 28-31, 1865
From these headquarters he sent;
(a) cavalry unit to burn the military school, foundries and bridges at Tuscaloosa.
(b) soldiers to destroy mines and furnaces in Jefferson, Bibb and Shelby Counties.
(c) cavalry to dash south to destroy railroads and factories at Selma.
Erected 1960 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 30.06′ N, 86° 50.292′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Cotton Avenue SW. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 331 Cotton Avenue SW, Birmingham AL 35211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walker Memorial Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Disabled American Veterans (approx. half a mile away); Smithfield (approx. 0.9 miles away); United Confederate Veterans (approx. one mile away); Rickwood Field Rickwood Field (approx. 1.1 miles away); Birmingham - Southern College (approx. 1.1 miles away); Glen Iris Park (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Birmingham.
Also see . . . Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens. (Submitted on November 10, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,918 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.