Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The “Ghost” Tower
The northwest tower (1) was the first of the arsenal's four towers to be built (1839-1840) and initially served as the facility's temporary office. The three-story octagonal towers protruded beyond the corners of the main compound and were a defensive feature that allowed flanking fire along the exterior wall.
The "ghost" tower is a semblance of the original brick tower and enables visitors to understand the scale of these structures.
Erected by Museum of the Cape Fear.
Location. 35° 3.276′ N, 78° 53.662′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Arsenal Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker and tower are in Arsenal Park, on Arsenal Avenue to the immediate west of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Freeway (U.S. 401). Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville NC 28305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fayetteville Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker); North Carolina (within shouting distance of this marker); Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) (within shouting distance of this marker); Engine House (1838 - 1848) North Carolina Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arsenal Park (about 300 feet away); Arsenal Stones (about 300 feet away); Gun Carriage and Turning Shop (1842 - 1849) (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fayetteville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,362 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.