“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Governorís Land

Governor's Land Marker image. Click for full size.
By Laura Troy, September 8, 2007
1. Governor's Land Marker
Inscription. Situated near Jamestown, Governorís Land originally was a 3,000-acre tract encompassing open fields between the James River and Powhatan Creek. The Virginia Company of London set the parcel aside in 1618 to seat tenants who worked the land, giving half the profits to maintain the office of the governor. Deputy Governor Samuel Argall had already established the private settlement of Argallís Town in these environs in 1617. Virginia governors also leased the property to others. Colonial leaders including William Drummond, governor of the Carolina proprietary (1665–1667) and an insurgent in Baconís Rebellion of 1676 held lease-holds here. Portions of tract provided income to Virginia governors into the 18th century.
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number V-41.)
Location. 37° 14.105′ N, 76° 47.108′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker is on Greensprings Road (County Route 614) north of 4H Club Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. This Marker sits with 3 other markers (V39, V42, V46) on the side of the road at an entrance to a driveway of some sort. There is a little area to park out of the way. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Governorís Land Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 12, 2010
2. Governorís Land Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle Of Green Spring (here, next to this marker); Green Spring Road (here, next to this marker); Church on the Main (here, next to this marker); Battle of Green Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel H. Yonge, Civil Engineer (1843-1935) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pocahontas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jamestown Road (approx. half a mile away); First Germans at Jamestown (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
Categories. AgriculturePolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,209 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement