Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Southwest Tower (1849 - 1856)
This was the last of the four arsenal towers to be built. In the original plans, this tower was to be the guard and prison rooms.
Erected by Museum of the Cape Fear.
Location. 35° 3.194′ N, 78° 53.665′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Click for map. Marker and tower base are in Arsenal Park, between Arsenal Avenue and Branson Street, to the immediate west of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Freeway (U.S. 401). Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville NC 28305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gun Carriage and Turning Shop (1842 - 1849) (within shouting distance of this marker); Engine House (1838 - 1848) (within shouting distance of this marker); Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); North Carolina Arsenal (about 400 feet away); The "Ghost" Tower (about 500 feet away); Fayetteville Arsenal (about 500 feet away); North Carolina (about 500 feet away); Arsenal Stones (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fayetteville.
Also see . . . Fayetteville Arsenal. (Submitted on November 11, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.