Inscription. Less than one mile to the east is the site of the Church on the Main, a brick Anglican church built by the 1750s to serve James City Parish as replacement for the church on Jamestown Island, which had become difficult for communicants to reach. The Rev. James Madison(1749–1812) was its best-known rector, serving the church from about 1777 until it fell into disuse after the American Revolution and the disestablishment of the Anglican Church. Madison became president of the College of William and Mary(1777–1812) and Virginiaís first Episcopal Bishop in 1790. By 1857 all aboveground traces of the church were gone.
By Laura Troy, September 8, 2007
|1. Church on the Main Marker|
Erected 2004 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number V-46.)
Location. 37° 14.105′ N, 76° 47.108′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker is on Greensprings Road (County Route 614) north of 4H Club Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governorís Land (here, next to this marker); Battle Of Green Spring (here, next to this marker); Green Spring Road (here, next to this marker); Battle of Green Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel H. Yonge, Civil Engineer (1843-1935) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pocahontas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jamestown Road (approx. half a mile away); First Germans at Jamestown (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
By Bernard Fisher, May 12, 2010
|2. Church on the Main Marker|
More about this marker. This marker sits with 3 others V41,V39,V42.
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,079 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 11, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 2. submitted on May 12, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |