Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gun Carriage and Turning Shop (1842 - 1849)
This area is where most woodworking operations took place. It was also known as the carpenter's shop. Wagon and gun carriage wheels, as well as other wooden parts, were made here.
Erected by Museum of the Cape Fear.
Location. 35° 3.213′ N, 78° 53.665′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Click for map. Marker and shop foundation are in Arsenal Park, between Arsenal Avenue and Branson Street, to the immediate west of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Freeway (U.S. 401). Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville NC 28305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Southwest Tower (1849 - 1856) (within shouting distance of this marker); Engine House (1838 - 1848) (within shouting distance of this marker); Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) (within shouting distance of this marker); North Carolina Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The "Ghost" Tower (about 400 feet away); Fayetteville Arsenal (about 400 feet away); North Carolina (about 400 feet away); Arsenal Stones (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fayetteville.
Also see . . . Fayetteville Arsenal (Submitted on November 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.