Hugar in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pompion Hill Chapel
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 33° 4.853′ N, 79° 50.151′ W. Marker is in Hugar, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of Cainhoy Road (State Road 8-98) and Pompion Hill Lane, on the right when traveling south on Cainhoy Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huger SC 29450, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quinby Bridge & Shubrick’s Plantation: The Disastrous “Raid of the Dog Days” (approx. 1.9 miles away); Quenby Bridge (approx. 2 miles away); Silk Hope Plantation (approx. 2.9 miles away); Brabant Plantation (approx. 4.3 miles away); Strawberry Chapel (approx. 5.7 miles away); Mepkin Plantation (approx. 6.7 miles away); St. Thomas Church (approx. 8.4 miles away); Otranto Indigo Vat (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Regarding Pompion Hill Chapel. Pompion Hill Chapel, erected in 1763-1765, is a miniature Georgian masterpiece, original and unaltered. The chapel, built on a typical rectangular plan, is probably the finest and best preserved of South Carolina’s numerous small, eighteenth century country parish, brick churches. The first Anglican church outside Charleston was built in 1703 on Pompion Hill. In 1706 the Church of England became the established church in South Carolina and nine parishes were laid off, of which St. Thomas’s Parish containing the 1703 wooden church, was one. Construction on the existing church began in 1763 and was completed in 1765. The Chapel is a one-story Georgian brick structure with a jerkinhead roof and a rectangular plan. The brick walls are laid in Flemish bond and the roof is still covered with slate. The brick was provided by Zachariah Villepontoux, a noted brick maker with kilns at his Paranassus Plantation on the Black River. The master mason was William Axson. Constructed of red cedar, the pulpit is modeled after that of St. Michael’s Church in Charleston. All interior woodwork and nearly all of the furnishings are original. The exterior of the chapel is also largely original and unaltered. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1970; Designated a National Historic Landmark April 15, 1970. ( S.C. Dept. of Archives and History )
Also see . . .
1. National Historic Landmarks. National Register Number: 70000567
2. National Historic Landmarks. Website containing page for Pompion Hill Chapel.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,823 times since then. Last updated on November 13, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on April 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on April 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.