Barksdale in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1875 a guest in the home of the Wells family, C.J. Fowler, died and was buried on the family's farm. The land surrounding Fowler's grave became known as Vance Cemetery. Henry Wells often worked as a coffin builder for members of the community.
Rancher Z. H. Pannell (1862-1925) donated additional land in 1909 for the cemetery and a church. The Vance Baptist Church was built in 1917, the same year Henry Wells gave more land to enlarge the cemetery.
In addition to the graves of Fowler and Wells, the Vance Cemetery is the burial site of many early pioneers of this area. Six Civil War veterans are interred here, as well as veterans of World War I and World War II. Epidemics of diphtheria and influenza in the early 20th century claimed the lives of many area citizens who are buried here.
The Vance Cemetery Association was organized in 1952 and is responsible for maintenance of the graveyard, which is still in use by descendants of the pioneer settlers.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5638.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barksdale TX 78828, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Mission San Lorenzo De La Santa Cruz (approx. 9.5 miles away); Site of Camp Wood (approx. 9.5 miles away).
Also see . . . Vance, Texas. A history of Vance, Texas (Submitted on November 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. This page has been viewed 928 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on , by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.