Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Randolph Co Jail - 1813
After a third jail was built on Walnut Street in 1841, this building became a residence. It was occupied for a number of years by Bernard L. Brown and his family, after their previous home was destroyed by Union troops during the Civil War.
This is a two-story plain brick structure with a symmetrical three-bay facade. The deep-set window ledges show the depth of the original walls. The original building had a simple stoop, which has been replaced by a large porch across the front of the house. The arched glazed double entrance doors probably date from the 1870's. The rear addition replaces the original ell.
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
Location. Click for map. Located at stop 23 of the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beverly (here, next to this marker); Robert Foyles & Family (a few steps from this marker); Beverly Public Square (a few steps from this marker); The First Campaign (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Beverly (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Beverly (a few steps from this marker); Blackman-Bosworth Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Occupied Beverly (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . . The 1813 Randolph County Jail. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 15, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 748 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.