Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Armonk in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Smith’s Tavern

 
 
Smith’s Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 14, 2009
1. Smith’s Tavern Marker
Inscription.
Revolutionary War
militia headquarters 1779.
First town post office and
North Castle town meeting
place, 1798 – 1850.

 
Erected 1976 by Town of North Castle.
 
Location. 41° 7.565′ N, 73° 41.644′ W. Marker is in Armonk, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is on Bedford Road (New York State Route 22) 0.1 miles east of Byram Lake Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Armonk NY 10504, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mile Square (approx. 0.9 miles away); North Castle Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); This Flame of Freedom (approx. one mile away); North Castle World War I Memorial (approx. one mile away); Lockheed T-33 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Reuben Wright’s Mill (approx. 3.9 miles away); Reuben Wright’s Mills (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Old North Castle Church (approx. 5 miles away).
 
Regarding Smith’s Tavern. Smith's Tavern was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 15, 1983.

Smith's Tavern, on Bedford Road in Armonk, is believed to have been built in the late
Smith’s Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 14, 2009
2. Smith’s Tavern Marker
1700's. John Smith, a former captain in the Continental Army, operated the house as a tavern, post office, and stopping place for the Danbury stage as early as 1797. Smith was active in town politics, and his tavern was a major local meeting place. Smith's son Samuel continued to operate the tavern until his own death in 1884.

Since 1974, the building has belonged to the North Castle Historical Society and is now open to the public as a museum.
 
Also see . . .  The Town of North Castle. The town's website tells the history of the town. (Submitted on November 18, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
 
Smith’s Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 14, 2009
3. Smith’s Tavern
Marker near the Front Door image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 14, 2009
4. Marker near the Front Door
Smith's Tavern
This tablet
records the grateful appreciation of
The North Castle Historical Society
to
IBM Corporation and other citizens,
businesses and organizations of North Castle
for the gift of this historic house
June 18, 1977
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 944 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement