Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
La Pharmacie De Niagara
(Inscription is repeated in French)
La pharmacie de Niagara, acquis en 1969, par l'Ontario Heritage Foundation, represente bien la petite entreprise de l'ère de la Confédération. Erige probablement durant les années 1820, l'edifice fut restaure en 1866. A cette date, en installa les fenêtres de style italien on transforma l'intérieur en pharmacie. Avant sa fermeture en 1964, cette pharmacie etait l'une des plus anciennes et des actives au Canada.
Unveiled by Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.
July 5th 1981
Erected 1981 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 43° 15.297′ N, 79° 4.255′ W. Marker is in Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Kirby (within shouting distance of this marker); Niagara on the Lake Historical District (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Vincent de Paul Church, 1835 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Niagara Land Purchases (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Memorial Hall, 1906 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Janet Carnochan 1839 - 1926 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Canada Constellation (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Butler's Rangers (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Also see . . . Post Script. The Apothecary Museum's website, with a detailed history of the apothecary: All in all, we can think of the Niagara Apothecary, under whatever name during its long history, as having had two lives. First, as a pharmacy practice that lasted continuously for almost 150 years, then since 1971 as a restoration of its glory of a century ago when, in 1869, Henry Paffard opened his splendid new facility at the location it still occupies now as a museum. (Submitted on August 24, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. This page has been viewed 944 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. 2, 3. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.