Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moorestown in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Moorestown, New Jersey Friends Meeting House

 
 
First Moorestown, New Jersey Friends Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
1. First Moorestown, New Jersey Friends Meeting House Marker
Inscription. The granite stone behind this plaque marks the location of the first Friends Meeting House. Built of logs in 1700. It was the earliest building for worship in Moorestown.

In 1720, it burned and was replaced with a large stone building which was demolished in 1802 when the present brick meeting house was built across Main Street.
 
Erected by Historical Society of Moorestown.
 
Location. 39° 57.99′ N, 74° 56.55′ W. Marker is in Moorestown, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Chester Avenue on East Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moorestown NJ 08057, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Coles Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan Hollinshead Clock Shop Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Cox's Tavern (about 400 feet away); Town Hall (about 400 feet away); Robertsí Hall (about 500 feet away); “Hessian House” (about 600 feet away); Moorestown, N.J. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith-Cadbury Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Moorestown.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Moorestown, New Jersey Friends Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
2. First Moorestown, New Jersey Friends Meeting House Marker
Granite Stone Marking Location of the First Meeting Hall image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
3. Granite Stone Marking Location of the First Meeting Hall
The first Friends Meeting House
in Moorestown 1700
stood near this spot. Burned 1719
and replaced by a stone building
facing south 1720
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 890 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of present brick meeting house. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement