Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bushrod Crawford Building

 
 
Bushrod Crawford Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. Bushrod Crawford Building Marker
Inscription. This house, located on a part of original town lot #4, was built about 1850. It was the home of Bushrod Crawford who also operated a store in the building with his brother Absalom. Brushrod Crawford ran against John Hughes in February of 1861 for Delegate to the State Convention to be held in Richmond, Va. Bushrod favored secession; Hughes did not. Hughes was elected, but changed his mind at the convention and voted for secession. Bushrod, Absalom, and their families fled south in July of 1861, as did many others in Beverly, leaving the store vacant for the Federals to occupy.

While in Beverly in July of 1861, General McClellan made his headquarters here. The telegraph office was moved to this building from the home of Bushrod's brother, Adam Crawford. Federal troops remained in Beverly throughout the war, and continued to use this building for a headquarters.

"We have annihilated the enemy in Western Virginia ... Our success is complete and secession is killed in this country."
General George B. McClellan
Telegram from Beverly, July 14, 1861

The 6 bay two-story building has a front facing ell which was the store wing. A two-story four-bay porch with lattice and square posts crosses the front. The traditional entrance door is divided wood with flat-headed transom and divided sidelights. The building
Bushrod Crawford Building image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. Bushrod Crawford Building
once had 9/6 windows and an entrance door for the store onto the sidewalk where the west front window is now placed.
 
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
 
Location. 38° 50.431′ N, 79° 52.495′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east on Court Street. Click for map. Located at stop 29 on the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hill Building (a few steps from this marker); Randolph Co. Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); 1841 County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Public Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Foyles & Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Beverly.
 
Also see . . .  The Crawford House. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 725 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement