Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglas in Coffee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Raymond-Richardson Aviation School

 
 
Raymond-Richardson Aviation School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Raymond-Richardson Aviation School Marker
Inscription. Wesley Raymond, Robert Richardson and others founded a school here in 1939 to teach basic flight skills to college students. With the start of World War II, the school became the 63rd Flight Training Detachment Airbase and provided primary flight training for several thousand young men. In addition to working clerical and food preparation jobs, many local women served as civilian base dispatchers and aircraft mechanics. Although officially closed in 1944, the airstrip and hangers have continued in use as a municipal airport and the barracks and administration buildings have seen a wide variety of community uses.
 
Erected 2000 by The Georgia Historical Society,Wiregrass Historical Society and the City of Douglas. (Marker Number 34-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 28.782′ N, 82° 51.084′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Georgia, in Coffee County. Marker is on South Peterson Avenue (US 441.US 221,SR 31) near Airport Circle, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Douglas GA 31535, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the
Raymond-Richardson Aviation School Marker looking south along South Peterson Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
2. Raymond-Richardson Aviation School Marker looking south along South Peterson Avenue
crow flies. Tri - Hi - Y International (approx. 2 miles away); Coffee County (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Coffee County (approx. 2 miles away); Coffee County Confederate Monument (approx. 2 miles away); Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Minnie F. Corbitt Memorial Museum (approx. 12.5 miles away); Atkinson Court House (approx. 12.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Air & SpaceWar, World II
 
Raymond-Richardson Aviation School Marker at the gate to the flight school, as seen today image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
3. Raymond-Richardson Aviation School Marker at the gate to the flight school, as seen today
Raymond-Richardson Aviation School image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
4. Raymond-Richardson Aviation School
Raymond-Richardson Aviation School Marker, looking north image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
5. Raymond-Richardson Aviation School Marker, looking north
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement