Sandersville in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Washington County Courthouse
Court House Square, located on the old stage coach road from Louisville to Milledgeville, is on the Dixie and Nancy Hart Highways.
The present Court House Building, the third, was erected in 1899. The first was burned in “the great fire” March 24, 1855, when only five buildings in the entire town were left. The second, built with a tax levied by the State Legislature, was burned in 1864 by Sherman on his “March to the Sea.”
It is claimed that more Confederate soldiers went from Washington county than from any other county in the state. Fifteen military companies were organized here.
Washington County has furnished two Governors -- Jared Irwin, 1796 to 1798 and 1806 to 1809, and Thomas W. Hardwick, 1921 to 1923. Gov. Hardwick also had served as United States Senator and Congressman.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 150-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 59.014′ N, Click for map. The marker is at the northeast corner of the courthouse square in Sandersville. Marker is in this post office area: Sandersville GA 31082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Governor Thomas W. Hardwick (within shouting distance of this marker); Saunder’s Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple (about 400 feet away); Rev. J. D. Anthony (approx. ¼ mile away); Old City Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 0.6 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.7 miles away); Tennille (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandersville.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Political Subdivisions • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 995 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.