Turbeville in Clarendon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
1870 - 1910
Erected 2000 by Turbeville Ruritan Club. (Marker Number 14.)
Location. 33° 53.418′ N, 80° 1.174′ W. Marker is in Turbeville, South Carolina, in Clarendon County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 301/378) and State Road 14-115, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Turbeville SC 29162, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Puddin’ Swamp 1776 – The Frontier (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Burning of Mouzon's Home by his "Friend" (about 300 feet away); Battle of Tearcoat (about 300 feet away); Turbeville R.R. Depot (about 500 feet away); East Clarendon (about 700 feet away); Pine Grove / Turbeville School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Miller H. Mellette Highway (approx. 0.9 miles away); " Ebenezer " (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Turbeville.
Also see . . . Town of Turbeville History. " In 1840 Michael Turbeville bought 125 acres of land one mile north of the present Town limits in Diles Bay and built a home on this property. Sometime between 1870 and 1875, William J. Turbeville, son of Michael, purchased approximately 200 acres from John McFaddin and built the first house in what is now the Town of Turbeville. His brother, Clem, likewise bought land and built next to William...."
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 719 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.