Katonah in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Schoolhouse and Homestead Lawn
John Jay Homestead
From this vantage point, the sloping back lawn of the main house is visible. At the top of the hill and to your left, is a stone schoolhouse built between 1826 and 1828 by John Jay and his son William for Williamís young children. In this back lawn area, to the right of the schoolhouse is the familyís pet cemetery.
Other early structures located closer to the house and to the right of this sign included a woodshed, several wells, and privies. Still visible are the foundations of two icehouses.
Erected by Friends of the Jay Homestead. (Marker Number 9.)
Location. 41° 15.104′ N, 73° 39.594′ W. Marker is in Katonah, New York, in Westchester County. Marker can be reached from Jay Street (New York State Route 22) 0.1 miles from Beaver Dam Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the grounds of the John Jay Homestead. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Route 22, Katonah NY 10536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The North Lawn (within shouting distance of this marker); Bedford House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Terrace Garden (within shouting The Carriage Drive and Roadways (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stable Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sundial and Fountain Gardens (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Organization of the Farm (about 300 feet away); The Barn Complex (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Katonah.
Categories. • Agriculture • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.