Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Penfield in Greene County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

“Old Mercer”

 
 
“Old Mercer” Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
1. “Old Mercer” Marker
Inscription. Actuated by a legacy from Josiah Penfield, Mercer University was founded here in 1833 as Mercer Institute. After considering several locations, the Trustees moved the institution to Macon in 1871 and, in 1880, transferred all holdings in Penfield to the Georgia Baptist Association, except the venerable Penfield Cemetery where Jesse Mercer, Billington M. Sanders, Mrs. Sanders, and other notable Mercerians are buried. The chapel was given to the Penfield Baptist Church, founded in 1839 with Rev. Adiel Sherwood as pastor. The academy building became the Penfield public school building.
 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 066-13.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 40.104′ N, 83° 10.5′ W. Marker is in Penfield, Georgia, in Greene County. Marker is on Mercer Circle 0.1 miles from Penfield Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Union Point GA 30669, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 6 miles away); Old Greene County "Gaol"
“Old Mercer” Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
2. “Old Mercer” Marker
(approx. 6.3 miles away); Sheriff L. L. Wyatt (approx. 6.4 miles away); William C. Dawson (approx. 6.4 miles away); First Commissioner of Agriculture (approx. 6.4 miles away); Greene County (approx. 6.4 miles away); Bishop George Foster Pierce (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Burning of Greensborough (approx. 6.5 miles away).
 
Regarding “Old Mercer”. The old chapel is the only major building remaining from Old Mercer College..
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.EducationNotable BuildingsNotable Places
 
“Old Mercer” Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
3. “Old Mercer” Marker
“Old Mercer” Chapel, built in 1840 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2007
4. “Old Mercer” Chapel, built in 1840
“Old Mercer” Chapel, built in 1840 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2007
5. “Old Mercer” Chapel, built in 1840
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 708 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement