Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gum Hart / Collett House

 
 
Gum Hart / Collett House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. Gum Hart / Collett House Marker
Inscription. This may be the oldest existing structure in Beverly. Local tradition says James Westfall built the first floor of the north section of this home as a log fort in 1772-74. Deed records are confused, but the log section of the house certainly predates the town.

By 1840 this house was owned by Montgomery Hart who had a saddle shop down the street. In 1860, "Gum" Hart traded his house to Marteny Buckey in exchange for the Buckey Hotel up the street. During the Civil War this house was used as a hospital, and it was also used at some time as a tavern. It was bought by Andrew J. Collett in 1871 and stayed in his family until 1948.

"I believe it was built by one of the old Harts."
Lucy Brown McCrum, "Beverly Recollections"

Over time the house was enlarged and covered with clapboards. The depth of the doorway shows the original log structure which survives in the front right-hand section of the house. Now a 5-bay 2-story house with rear ell, it has 9/6 windows on the first floor and 6/6 upstairs. It has an outside end chimney on the south and two interior chimneys. The recessed entry shows Federal style features such as a panelled door with sidelights, transom and square pilasters.
 
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
 
Location.
Gum Hart / Collett House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. Gum Hart / Collett House and Marker
The marker stands just left of center under the tree. Not the barrier tape around the side of the house, which is undergoing renovation.
38° 50.563′ N, 79° 52.454′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 219) and Collett Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Located at stop nine on the driving tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter Buckey House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jonathan Arnold House (about 300 feet away); Crozet - Chenoweth / Rich Mountain (about 400 feet away); Beverly Covered Bridge (about 400 feet away); Lemuel Chenoweth House (about 400 feet away); Adam Crawford House (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Beverly.
 
Also see . . .  The Montgomery Hart / Andrew Collett House. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Another View of the House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
3. Another View of the House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 698 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement