“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Presbyterian Church

Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. The Beverly Presbyterian Church came into existence as part of the United Congregations of Tygat Valley in 1788 and was formally organized on March 1, 1820 under Reverend Aretas Loomis. Services were held in the 1808 courthouse until the first church building was constructed in 1852-53. Union soldiers destroyed this building during the Civil War.

Between 1869 and 1873, the church was rebuilt on the same site with that structure now forming the main sanctuary of the present church. During extensive remodeling in 1893-94, the stained glass memorial window was added honoring the memory of Reverend Robert Scott, under whose pastorate the church had been rebuilt.

The house that stood beside the church was moved in 1959 and still stands behind the church lot. The adjoining educational annex was added in 1960.

"So far as records show, the first religious service held within Randolph County was by the Presbyterians."
Hu Maxwell
History or Randolph County

The church rebuilt after the Civil War was a simple structure with a belfry. The same church today, as it emerged from the 1894 remodeling, features the large Gothic stained glass window, other Gothic Revival detailing, and a pyramidal-roof steeple. The slate roof on the steeple has been restored to match the original material.
Erected by
Beverly Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. Beverly Presbyterian Church
Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
Location. 38° 50.582′ N, 79° 52.441′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 219) and Collett Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Located at stop eight of the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gum Hart / Collett House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter Buckey House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jonathan Arnold House (about 500 feet away); Crozet - Chenoweth / Rich Mountain (about 500 feet away); Beverly Covered Bridge (about 600 feet away); Lemuel Chenoweth House (about 600 feet away); Adam Crawford House (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . .  Beverly Presbyterian Church. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement