“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Beverly Methodist Church

Beverly Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. Beverly Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The Methodist Church had its roots in Beverly from the time of its settlement. Services were first held in the private homes and lawns of congregation members. The first "church" was the log home of Dr. Benjamin Dolbeare, the first physician in Randolph County. His brother-in-law, Lorenzo Dow, was a noted Methodist missionary who often preached in Beverly. It is said that he preached on a log during his earlier visits to Beverly.

The first Methodist Church was built of logs and was located on the west end of Wood (Court) Street. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here in 1788. It was used for about eighty years until dismantled by Federal troops who used the logs to build huts while they were stationed in Beverly.

In 1867, the second frame church was built on Walnut Street and was used for about twenty-three years. It was replaced by the present Methodist Church on Main Street in 1890.

"It is said it served as a stable during the war before it was torn away.""Recollections of Old Beverly"
speaking of the first log church

This one-story church is Gothic Revival style with a central bell tower entrance. It is a rectangular building with one rear wing. It has pointed arch double windows that flank the tower: 2/2 with small trefoil in center. It also boasts corner buttresses
Beverly Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. Beverly Methodist Church and Marker
with top pent roof caps with finials.
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 38° 50.592′ N, 79° 52.409′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located at stop seven on the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Gum Hart / Collett House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peter Buckey House (about 400 feet away); Jonathan Arnold House (about 600 feet away); Crozet - Chenoweth / Rich Mountain (about 600 feet away); Beverly Covered Bridge (about 700 feet away); Lemuel Chenoweth House (about 700 feet away); Adam Crawford House (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . .  Beverly Methodist Church. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement