Sandersville in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
On November 27, 1812, the town was incorporated by an act of the Georgia Legislature. Here also was a relay station on the stagecoach road from Louisville to the new Capitol in Milledgeville.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 58.967′ N, 82° 48.65′ W. Marker is in Sandersville, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Harris Street (Georgia Route 15) and West Haynes Street, on the right when traveling south on North Harris Street. Click for map. The marker is at the entrance to the parking lot for the Washington County Courthouse, by the old "Police Box.". Marker is in this post office area: Sandersville GA 31082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles Governor Thomas W. Hardwick (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple (about 400 feet away); Rev. J. D. Anthony (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. ľ mile away); Jefferson Davis (approx. half a mile away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.7 miles away); Tennille (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandersville.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and similar text on this location, erected by the Georgia Historical Commission in the 1950s.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 695 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.