“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandersville in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Jefferson Davis

Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 28, 2009
1. Jefferson Davis Marker
Inscription. On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (68 miles N), where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed enroute to the trans-Mississippi Department, from which vantage point he hoped to negotiate a just peace. His party reached Sandersville about noon on May 6th, where Judge John H. Reagan, Act’g Sec’y of the Treasury, and Captain M. H. Clark, Act’g Treasurer, transacted the last official business of the Confederate States Treasury.

That evening, they camped near Balls Ferry (17 miles SW); but upon learning of a threat to his family, which was on a converging route some hours ahead, Mr. Davis decided to press on and, after an all night ride over strange roads, he found them near the home of Mr. E. J. Blackshear, 10 miles north of Dublin.

After a hard journey via Dublin and Abbeville, they camped a mile N of Irwinville (110 miles SW) in the present Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park. At dawn on May 10th, his camp was surrounded by men of the 1st Wisconsin and the 4th Michigan cavalry regiments [US] and he became a “state prisoner,” his hopes for a new nation in which each state would exercise without interference its cherished “Constitutional rights”
Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 28, 2009
2. Jefferson Davis Marker
Looking north on South Harris Street, toward the center of Sandersville
forever dead.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 150-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 58.508′ N, 82° 48.554′ W. Marker is in Sandersville, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is on South Harris Street (Georgia Route 15) 0 miles south of Newman Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandersville GA 31082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saunder’s Store (approx. half a mile away); Rev. J. D. Anthony (approx. half a mile away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.6 miles away); Governor Thomas W. Hardwick (approx. 0.6 miles away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.8 miles away); Tennille (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandersville.
Categories. GovernmentNotable PersonsWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 936 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement