“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Edward Hart House

Edward Hart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. Edward Hart House Marker
Inscription. This house contains the foundation, chimney, and logs from an earlier log cabin built on this site by Beverly pioneer Edward Hart. A son of John Hart, a signer of the Declaration of the Independence from New Jersey, Edward relocated here in 1788 following service in the Revolutionary War. A man of many talents, he built the original log courthouse and jail and operated an ordinary, a cooper's shop, a carpenter's shop and a tannery.

In 1855 Edwin D. Chenoweth built this existing house around the remains of Edward Hart's log cabin. Hugh Hart, Edward's nephew, purchased the house from Chenoweth and lived here a short time. Hugh Hart and Edwin Chenoweth both moved to Kansas, where they served the Union cause during the Civil War.

Dr. George W. Yokum, a local historian, purchased the home and lived here during the Civil War. He built the north addition to the house for use as his medical office and library. In 1861, Dr. Yokum spent three months at the federal prison Camp Carlisle in Wheeling for treating Confederate soldiers after the Battle of Rich Mountain.

On June 16, 1935 a marble marker was erected at the gravesite of Edward Hart in the Beverly Cemetery.

This two-story Federal style house has a standing seam metal roof with birds and a 6/6 window style. The main entrance has a paneled entrance door with
Edward Hart House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. Edward Hart House
The house is mostly obscured by bushes and shrubs.
sidelights and flat transom with scroll bracket pilasters between. The second entrance has similar door with flat, two-pane transom.
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
Location. 38° 50.35′ N, 79° 52.575′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Crawford Street and Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling east on Crawford Street. Click for map. Located at stop 38 on the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Isaac Baker House (within shouting distance of this marker); Humboldt Yokum House (within shouting distance of this marker); Birkett-Cresap (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); David Goff House (about 500 feet away); Randolph County Jail (about 500 feet away); 1841 County Jail (about 500 feet away); Blackman-Strader (about 600 feet away); Beverly Bank (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . .  The Hart / Yokum House. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 24, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 916 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement