Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trinity United Methodist Church
Erected 1996 by the Congregation. (Marker Number 38-24.)
Location. 33° 29.749′ N, 80° 51.369′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Boulevard Street (State Road 38-25) near Amelia Street (State Road 38-70), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Carolina State University (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Orangeburg Massacre (about 400 feet away); Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and Graveyard (about 600 feet away); Claflin College (about 700 feet away); Church of the Redeemer (approx. ¼ mile away); Judge Glover's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Court House Square (approx. 0.6 miles away); Orangeburg Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Orangeburg.
Regarding Trinity United Methodist Church. Like the Birmingham Campaign a few months earlier, "The Orangeburg Movement" focused on desegregating public facilities. On July 31, 1963, a South Carolina State student launched the movement by refusing to leave a local restaurant. Three weeks later, movement leaders demanded that City Council desegregate public accommodations, comply with court-ordered school desegregation, and expand job opportunities for African Americans. Mass demonstrations, which by now included children, continued until the passage of the Civil Rights Act on June 2, 1964. (Source: National Park Service)
Also see . . . Knowing who I am: a Black entrepreneur's struggle and success in the American South. By Earl M. Middleton, Joy W. Barnes, Pages 91-100 Orangeburg Movement- (Submitted on November 25, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. This building is the fourth separate sanctuary
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church is significant as an excellent example of twentieth-century Gothic Revival church architecture and
This building is the fourth separate sanctuary serving this congregation and was designed by William W. Wilkins (1881-1937), a professor of Manual Training and Industrial Education and teacher-trainer of Shopwork at South Carolina State College from 1918 until 1937. Wilkins never held an architect’s license but designed buildings under the supervision of Miller F. Whittaker. Construction was starting in 1928, but due to the Depression was not completed until 1944. The completion of this sanctuary during a sixteen-year period of extreme economic hardship helps illustrate the importance of this church and its congregation to the city of Orangeburg.
The central role played by Trinity Methodist during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s as the site of the most influential leaders of South Carolina’s African American community is further confirmation of the continuing significance of this church not only to Orangeburg, but to the state as well.
The church is cruciform in plan and is set upon a raised basement with beveled cast stone water table. The church’s main block rises two stories and features a large Tudor arched stained glass window with molded cast stone surround, wall buttresses, a centered three-part louvered vent, and parapet gable with cast
— Submitted November 27, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Additional keywords. Desegregation
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Civil Rights •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,086 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.