Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Smith Tavern – A Colonial Meeting Place
—The Museum in the Streets —
The Smith Tavern stood on the site of the present library. Ebenezer Smith arrived from Milford in 1709 and was assigned Lot # 26. He opened a small tavern in his home. By 1797 a new building was erected on the site by Amos Smith, who ran a tavern and inn, as well as a cider mill behind the tavern and a vineyard on the western side of Main Street. Taverns were used for more than eating and drinking; they were important centers for community activities. In 1900 the Smith Family sold the property to James N. Morris who had a library built in memory of his wife, Elizabeth. It is built in the eclectic Beaux Arts style with art nouveau ironwork on the front doors. A park was created behind the library.
Having a moving-picture theater in Ridgefield was insurance-man Arthur Carnall’s dream. He hired renowned theater designer and architect John Eberson who began his plans in 1938. By 1940 the first movies were being shown in the new air-conditioned theater. The early 1970s brought an end to the theater and the building became a banking center. (Marker Number 6.)
Location. 41° 17.003′ N, 73° 29.906′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Prospect Street, on the Click for map. Marker is located at the northeast corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ridgefield (a few steps from this marker); Ballard Park (a few steps from this marker); Main Street in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Ridgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village in the 1900s (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Ridgefield Train Station (about 600 feet away); The Elms Inn and Stebbins Homestead (about 600 feet away); Bailey Avenue: A Short-Cut to the Train Station (about 600 feet away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgefield.
More about this marker. Two old photographs of the Smith Tavern, courtesy of the Ridgefield Historical Society, appear on the left of the marker.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,189 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.