Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Cincinnati Public Markets / The Northern Liberties
Side A: Cincinnati Public Markets
Public markets housing butchers, fish merchants, and produce vendors were once the primary source of perishable foods for residents of America's cities. Cincinnati operated nine in 1859. Only Findlay Market, built here in 1852, survives. Cincinnati's lost indoor markets include:
Fifth Street Market: 1829 to 1870, Fifth between Vine and Walnut
Wade Street Market: 1848 to 1898, corner of Wade and Bauer Avenue
Canal Market: 1829 to 1864, Court between Vine and Walnut
Court Street Market: 1864 to 1914, replaced Canal Market
Jabez Elliott Flower Market: 1890 to 1950, Sixth between Elm and Plum
Sixth Street Market: 1895 to 1960, Sixth between Plum and Western Row
Pearl Street Market: 1901 to 1934, Market between Sycamore and Broadway
Side B: The Northern Liberties
Liberty Street, then called Northern Row, was once Cincinnati's northern boundary. The area beyond Northern Row, and also beyond the reach of municipal law, was appropriately called The Northern Liberties. The area attracted a concentration of bootleggers, entrepreneurs, saloons, gambling houses, brothels, and other institutions not tolerated in Cincinnati proper. Cincinnati's first Catholic Church was built in 1819 on the northwest corner of Liberty and Vine. As the Catholic
Erected 2002 by Corporation for Findlay Market and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 32-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 6.918′ N, 84° 31.186′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Street and Elder Street, on the right when traveling north on Elm Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cincinnati Breweries / Remaining Brewery Structures (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Laurel-Lincoln World War II Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Betts House, 1804 (approx. half a mile away); The Gamble House (approx. half a mile away); Woodward High School / School for Creative and Performing Arts (approx. 0.6 miles away); Auburn Avenue (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Howard Taft / Robert Alphonso Taft (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cincinnati.
Also see . . . History of Findlay Market. (Submitted on November 25, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Churches, Etc. • Civil Rights • Entertainment • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,071 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.